He was ashamed of himself(for behaving so badly)/ashamed of behavingso badly.
他为自己的无礼行为感到羞愧。
I’m sorry for breaking your window.
对不起,我打碎了你的窗户。(道歉)
I’m sorry about your window.
关于你的窗户的事我很抱歉。(道歉/懊悔)
I’m sorry for Peter.
我为彼得感到遗憾。(遗憾)
afraid,ashamed,sorry均可位于动词不定式之前:
She was afraid to speak.
她怕开口说话。(她没说话。)
I’d be ashamed to take his money.
我不好意思拿他的钱。(我没拿钱。)
I’m sorry to say that we have no news.
我很抱歉地告诉你,我们没得到消息。
或位于that从句之前:
I’m ashamed that I’ve nothing better to offer you.
我很不好意思,我没有更好的东西送给你。
She’s afraid(that)he won’t believe her.
她怕他不信任她。(担心)
I’m afraid(that)we have no news.
恐怕没有消息。(懊悔)
I’m sorry(that)you can’t come.
真遗憾,你来不了。
(关于这三种结构意思上的区别,参见第271节。关于I’mafraid not/so,参见第347节。)
anxious(about),anxious+动词不定式,anxious thatanxious(+about+名词/代名词)意为“焦虑”:
I’m anxious(about Tom).His plane is overdue.
我很(为汤姆)着急。他乘的飞机误点了。
be anxious(+for+名词/代名词)+动词不定式意为“急欲/希望”:
I’m very anxious(for him)to see the Carnival.
我非常希望(他)去看狂欢节。
anxious+that…+should结构可用于非常正式的英语中:
The committee is anxious that this matter should be kept secret.
委员会切望这件事保密。
fortunate(幸运的)和lucky(运气好的)既可和that从句连用,也可和动词不定式连用。二者在意思上常有不同。
It is fortunate/lucky that…常常意为“……是件好事”:
It’s lucky that Tom has a car.
真幸运,汤姆有一辆汽车。